Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Can We Do That Again?

Last week, I had a long and exhausting week of church events - from rehearsals to First Communions to the closing of the Religious Education year. After my final event, the Closing Mass for our Religious Education program, I was standing in the foyer of church, greeting and talking with people as they left. Two of the children in our program came up to me excitedly, all-smiles, "Can we do that again??" They had brought up the gifts of bread and wine at the offertory during Mass. I had never seen anyone THAT excited about serving during church. These kids were literally jumping out of their skin. The girl said, "I was so nervous but as soon as we were up there with the priests and just those people right there, everyone else faded away. It was just us and it was so cool." I will never forget those smiles or their overwhelming excitement. You would have thought they just went on the best ride at Disney.

It never ceases to amaze me that it is the small things that bring the greatest joy. I am thankful that the Lord had put it on my heart to ask the family I did to bring up the gifts during Mass - and that I could be a catalyst for the opportunity of joy that Jesus wanted to give to His children. God also spoke to my heart through this simple joyful moment.

There is something about offering our gifts and our lives to God. He does not really need our gifts but He allows us to enter into His abundant joy when we offer our gifts to Him. It's not so much about fame or fortune, but about simply offering our gifts to the Lord. The blessing we receive in return is a heart full of joy.

"You will show me the path to life. In Your presence is fullness of joy. At your right hand there are pleasures forever," Psalm 16:11

"The joy of the Lord is my strength." Nehemiah 8:10

No comments:

Post a Comment